Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft. It provides the user with the ability to connect to another computer over a network.
To delete the data of the client in Windows 7/8/8.1/10, follow the steps below. There is just one method to delete the data. If you don’t want to do all the hard work then you could just download the batch file which is attached at the bottom of this page.
How to Delete Remote Desktop Connection Data in Windows 7/8/8.1/10
Deleting the Keys Manually
Follow the steps below to delete the registry keys manually.
- Open Search and search for regedit or alternatively press Windows Key and ‘R’ on keyboard to bring up the Run Window and type in regedit.exe. If you have UAC enabled, then click Yes on the prompt. (if there is any)
- In the Registry Editor window, expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key by clicking on the arrow at the side (you would see the hierarchy of all folders on the left side of the registry window and the values on the right).
- And then expand SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Terminal Server Client.
Your final path should be, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client
Keys are listed on the left side and values are listed on the left.
- Under the Terminal Server Client, there will be two keys Default and Servers. Delete both those keys if you want to delete all Remote Desktop Connection Data. If you delete all keys, skip to the 7th step
- To delete a specific one, expand the Default key and delete the value type REG_SZ which should contain your Remote Desktop Server IP/HostName as Data.
- Under Servers key, there will be one key for each Remote Desktop Server. Delete the same host names you deleted in Server Key.
- That’s it. If you wanna reset RDP Settings, then you could do that by deleting Default.rdp file under Documents folder. The file is hidden, so you need to Check Hidden Items under the view tab in ribbon bar to view it. Or you could run the below code in cmd to delete it,
Delete Default.rdpMS DOS1rd C:\Users\--USER FOLDER--\Documents\Default.rdp
Using .bat File
If you want to delete all data without admin rights or if you just want to make it easy.
Download this file. Open the zip file with Windows Explorer or with any other archive openers and just open the .bat file by double clicking or right click Run/Open. It will delete all RDP data for current user without admin rights.
Have any questions ? Comment