Join our Telegram Channel for exclusive updates.
A lot of you might SUFFER from this problem of the “com surrogate” file using all your resources. A lot of people call it a virus, malware, Trojan, and the list goes on..
I’m telling you what it is. It’s a Windows file which is very Helpful in many ways. For example, it makes your thumbnails for you, it handles your drive compression for you, and a lot of other helpful stuff. But the file can be infected like mine was.
Here I’m gonna show you how to get rid of it in 20 sweat, easy steps.
Removing COM SURROGATE from Windows
- Open Task Manager scroll down to “COM Surrogate”.
- Right click on it and click on Open File Location.
- Try deleting the file selected named “dllhost.exe”.If you got the message that you need permissions from “TRUSTED INSTALLER”, continue to further steps.
- Right click on the file and press on Properties.
- Go to the tab named Security.
- Click on Advanced.
- Just in front of the “Owner: TrustedInstaller”, you’ll see a “Change” button, Click it.
- You’ll see a box where you need to write down your OWN Username on the Computer.
- Click on “Check Names” when you’re done and then if it detected your username , Click “Ok”. You’ll see now that You are the owner of
- Click Apply and a box will appear, Click OK on that too. And after it is Applied. Click OK on the whole thing.
- Now you have an “Edit” option which you’ll have to click on.
- Click on TrustedInstaller. You’ll see the permissions TrustedInstaller has on this file. Uncheck All.
- Click on Users and Check all the boxes under Allow.
- Click on Administrator and repeat step 13.
- Apply, Click on the YES option on the box that’ll appear. Then click OK.
- Repeat Step 1 to 3. You must now be able to delete the file, if you got the message “The action can’t be completed because the file is open in dllhost.exe” Proceed to step 17.
- Open Task Manager, Click on “com surrogate” and then “End Task”.
- Read step 16 again.
- I highly recommend you to watch the video up there for a better Understanding.
- Open Command Prompt (CMD), Type in the command
This will scan the system and restore dllhost.exe , The clean one.
That’s it People. I hope you enjoyed. Have an Awesome, BUG-FREE day.
Any questions? Leave them in comments.
Updated on September 6, 2015. Added Step 20.